-->

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Strontium Dog's Essential Listening 2005

Album of the Year

I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning
Bright Eyes

Song of the Year

“Land Locked Blues” from I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning
Bright Eyes with Emmylou Harris

B-Side of the Year

“When the President Talks To God”
Bright Eyes

Other Essential Listening

Fresh Wine for the Horses
Rob Dickinson

Cold Roses
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals

In the Reins
Iron & Wine and Calexico

Live at the Fillmore
Lucinda Williams

A Musical History Box Set
The Band

Instant Live Recordings May – October 2005
The Black Crowes

Illinois
Sufjan Stevens

Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall
Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, Ahmed Abdul-Malik, and Shadow Wilson

Z
My Morning Jacket

Okemah and the Melody of Riot
Son Volt

Leaders of the Free World
Elbow

Howl
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Cosmic Game
Thievery Corporation

Magic Time
Van Morrison

In Your Honor
Foo Fighters

Digital Ash in a Digital Urn
Bright Eyes

Jacksonville City Nights
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals

“Slogans” Previously Unreleased Studio Recording
Bob Marley

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice list. Is it right to have two Ryan Adams albums on the list? Why not go for broke and put all three from this year on there? I should get my list out by the end of the weekend.

January 05, 2006 2:27 PM  
Blogger Amorican said...

I did not have a chance to absorb "29" before the end of the year, but my guess is that it could have been a contender... However, I'm not sure it is as essential a listen for non-Ryan Adams fans as the first two records. Can't wait to see your list.

January 05, 2006 5:44 PM  
Blogger J said...

I can't get into Jacksonville City Nights. Cold Roses = good stuff, and 29 is certainly more up my alley than JCN, but like Dog, I haven't had a chance to absorb it yet.

January 10, 2006 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home