-->

Thursday, January 05, 2006

J's Essential Listening 2005

Although I'd like to comment on each of these 2005 releases, I don't have the time or energy. Needless to say, it was one of the best years for new music releases in a long while. Here are some of my faves along with a sample song from each. Hope you find something you like, and please feel free to post your favorites from 2005.

PS Check out Strontium Dog's essentials list in an earlier post too.

Album of the Year:

Rob Dickinson - Fresh Wine For The Horses
song sample: Intelligent People

Best of the Rest:

Kathleen Edwards - Back To Me
song sample: Old Time Sake

Embrace - Out Of Nothing
song sample: A Glorious Day

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl
song sample: Ain't No Easy Way

The Black Crowes - Instant Live Series
song sample: Girl From A Pawnshop (live)

Matthew Good - In A Coma
song sample: Oh Be Joyful

Feeder - Pushing The Senses
song sample: Feeling A Moment

Gemma Hayes - The Roads Don't Love You
song sample: Keep Me Here

Wilco - Kicking Television
song sample: The Late Greats (live)

Idlewild - Warnings/Promises
song sample: I Understand It

Son Volt - Okemah And The Melody Of Riot
song sample: Bandages And Scars

Screaming Trees - Ocean Of Confusion: Songs Of Screaming Trees 1990-1996
song sample: Nearly Lost You

Death Cab For Cutie - Plans
song sample: Crooked Teeth

Juliana Hatfield - Made In China
song sample: Stay Awake

The Like - Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking?
song sample: Falling Away

Lucinda Williams - Live At The Fillmore
song sample: Changed The Locks (live)

Guilty Pleasure of the Year:

Liz Phair - Somebody's Miracle
song sample: Why I Lie

4 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

The Like album is a ton of fun. DCFC, on the other hand, not so fun.

January 08, 2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger J said...

Yeah, I like The Like. What is it about the DCFC record that bugs you? I feel like it's more consistent than their previous efforts. Do tell.

January 10, 2006 10:17 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

The songs aren't as compelling. They're not as poppy as The Photo Album or as atmospheric as the best moments on Transatlanticism. And frankly, it doesn't have the sparkle and shimmer of past releases. I feel like they coasted on it. Or maybe the increased money took away some of the inventiveness or the spirit?

It's sort of like the second two Coldplay albums... Parachutes is gorgeous and compelling, it hits you in the gut with emotional intensity and picks you back up with swirling melodies. A Rush of Blood to the Head and X&Y both have good writing, but there's just something missing. It doesn't have that beauty, that sparkle that made the first album so brilliant.

January 24, 2006 3:57 AM  
Blogger J said...

You know DCFC way better than I do, so I'll have to trust your assessment of their older stuff. But I really like the cohesiveness of the new record. Crooked Teeth, What Sarah Said, Summer Skin and Stable Song are great songs. I think I like them more when they're less poppy. Weird for me b/c I generally like the pop rock.

On the Coldplay front, I've always felt that A Rush Of Blood To The Head was their masterpiece thus far. Parachutes felt like a good first step, but I never really connected with it. Then they hit their creative zenith with the former. X&Y was a let down for me after A Rush... Hard to say that Warning Sign, The Scientist and Amsterdam aren't emotionally compelling, don't you think?

But what the hell do I know? I just bought the new Morningwood album on a whim. My taste is clearly suspect...

January 24, 2006 10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home