-->

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Live Concert Post #4: Radiohead 12-19-97

As I eagerly (read: "desperately") await an official confirmation of the rumor that Radiohead will be playing the Tower Theater, a very small venue for a band of Radiohead's clout, in June, I thought I'd upload one of my favorite Radiohead live gigs.

This show is the famous "Live At The Ten Spot" performance that aired, incomplete, on MTV. At the time, the band was in the middle of touring in support of the critically and popularly acclaimed album, OK Computer. I believe the version of the show that I have is from a digital cable feed - no commercials and all of the songs, including the ones that never originally aired.

The set serves as a snapshot of Radiohead in the midst of their catapult to the top of the rock world of the late 90's. They cemented themselves as one of the most impressive live acts around on this tour, a complement to their considerable songwriting and studio prowess. Though this tour would almost drive singer Thom Yorke off the deep end, as documented in the film Meeting People Is Easy, it represents my favorite Radiohead era thus far.

That night at New York's Hammerstein Ballroom, they tore through almost all of The Bends and OK Computer, along with the b-side "Talk Show Host", which appears on the soundtrack to the 1996 film version of Romeo and Juliet as well as on one of the "Street Spirit" singles.

Enjoy this phenomenal show. All files are MP3s.
Fitter Happier
Airbag
Karma Police
The Bends
Exit Music (For A Film)
Talk Show Host
Subterranean Homesick Alien
My Iron Lung
Climbing Up The Walls
Lucky
Planet Telex
Bulletproof...I Wish I Was
No Surprises
Bones
Just
Paranoid Android
Fake Plastic Trees
Let Down
Street Spirit (Fade Out)
------------
Electioneering
(Nice Dream)
The Tourist
I finally did get to see Radiohead for the first time later on this tour, in April of 1998 at Radio City Music Hall in New York. Still can feel the chills I got from hearing "Exit Music" that night.

If this show makes you jones for some more live Radiohead, I heartily recommend picking up their only official live album, I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings, and the recently released in the US DVD, Live At The Astoria.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger John said...

I'm stoked to get this, but there are no links...just a tracklist. Hmm.

April 18, 2006 11:56 PM  
Blogger Honey said...

Nice one. I actually brought this very Radiohead show up with a friend the other night because I was at Hammerstein and I just love that venue. And the aura of Radiohead still lives there...

April 19, 2006 12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with kingseyeland: can't wait to get my mitts on this one, but no limks. Glad it's not just me!

April 19, 2006 1:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Links", that is! Sorry - it's late!

April 19, 2006 1:56 AM  
Blogger J said...

Sorry, everyone. I accidentally hit "publish post" before setting up the links last night. They'll be up later this afternoon.

April 19, 2006 5:27 AM  
Blogger John said...

Awesome. Thank you!

April 19, 2006 3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The links for Street Spirit (Fade Out) and (Nice Dream) are not working. All the other tracks downloaded fine and it sounds great.

Thanks

April 20, 2006 3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J - Thanks for putting up this concert. I was at this show... good to hear it again. I've seen them countless times, but nothing's like the first. (Though the night at Radio City was brain-melting) Sweet site!

January 17, 2007 9:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Absolutely loved these!... then my harddrive died just prior to installing a backup drive (now up and running)... I'd like to download again - but the links don't work now. Is there a chance you could re-post these? Thanks!

March 04, 2010 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home