-->

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Live Concert Post #5: Juliana Hatfield 09-17-93


Those that know me know that I'm an obsessive fan of Juliana Hatfield. I've seen her live a ridiculous amount of times and think she is one of the most talented musicians around. So it will come as no surprise that I'm posting a live show of hers here. This was one of the first live recordings of her that I'd ever heard. She was touring with a 3-piece outfit to support Become What You Are, her second post-Blake Babies release. Someone at the Backstage Tavern in Ballard, WA made a recording of this show, and it became one of the most widely circulated Juliana boots from that tour. The set is notable for the b-sides she plays, as well as for the teetering-on-the-edge-of-chaos version of Lesley Gore's "You Don't Own Me" that closes the show.

Juliana has serious vocal and guitar chops. In fact, her chord fingerings are a little out there sometimes. I love that a graduate of Berklee School of Music who studied voice sings live with such wild, unpolished abandon. Also, she plays her guitar just sloppy enough on stage to totally rock out without losing control completely. The Ballard show is evidence of both of these traits. She's since fine-tuned her live vocals a bit, but even now, 13 years later, she still lets herself go a little crazy vocally when she performs with a band.

All tracks are MP3s. Enjoy.
Addicted
Hello My Name Is Baby
For The Birds
Spin The Bottle
Everybody Loves Me But You
Here Comes The Pain
Rider
President Garfield
This Is The Sound
My Sister
Supermodel
The Lights
Feelin' Massachusetts
Little Pieces
A Dame With A Rod
I Got No Idols
Nirvana
You Don't Own Me
Visit Juliana's website and buy her records.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to hearing this - I stumbled across her by chance about a year ago. She's just fantastic.

May 07, 2006 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home