-->

Monday, August 14, 2006

Drive-By Truckers: 07-29-2006

My MMJ post from this morning about an awesome opening act spawned another post. And so it goes…

If you are reading this blog then you probably realize that I’m a major fan of the Black Crowes. So it should come as no surprise that I went to see them when they played at the Festival Pier in Philly last month. The opening bands were The Drive-By Truckers and Robert Randolph and the Family Band. The latter put on a great set, but the first act of the day blew the roof off the place. Or they would’ve if the venue weren’t outdoors…

I honestly don’t know much about the Drive-By Truckers. This show was the first time I’d seen them live, and I had only heard one of their songs, “Danko/Manuel”, on a friend’s best-of-the-year mix from 2004. The song was good, but I didn’t go buy their record after hearing it.

Sometimes it takes a special convergence of events – seeing a great live show at the right time to be open to something new, hearing the perfect song playing as the soundtrack to an important moment in one’s life, etc… - to really make you stand up and take notice of a good band. Needless to say, I thought Drive-By Trucker’s performance at this show was fantastic, and after their set I went directly to the merch table to pick up their latest, A Blessing And A Curse. The album is strong, though not as reckless and raucous as the live set I witnessed. If you like your rock southern and heartfelt, this band is for you.

The last song of the show was a ridiculously awesome, “classic”, rock moment. If you listen to nothing else from this set at least give "Let There Be Rock" a shot.

------All links expired when EzArchive changed------
Drive-By Truckers: 07-29-2006
Festival Pier
Philadelphia, PA
Opening for The Black Crowes


Intro
Wednesday
Women Without Whiskey ->
Decoration Day ->
Feb 14
Gravity's Gone
Sink Hole
Never Gonna Change
Marry Me ->
Road Cases ->
Let There Be Rock

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this.

I saw DBT open for the Crowes in June and had a similar experience. I'm a huge Crowes fan, but DBT completely stole the show with an incredible set. They're a pretty hard act to follow.

August 14, 2006 9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo J...
"Let There Be Rock" is indeed a classic... check out the original by AC/DC if you get a chance.

August 17, 2006 2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey J, I've seen DBT live several times but have never been able to get my hands on a bootleg. It would be great if you could update this show from EzArchive for us to download. Thanks.

August 02, 2007 7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home