-->

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

B-Side Of The Week: Centro-Matic

I've decided to start a new feature here at Sweet Oblivion. Each Wednesday I'll post a b-side from a different artist. B-sides offer an interesting glimpse into the deeper reaches of a band or artist's songwriting, and many music fans spend lots of time and money tracking down these elusive tracks that appear on import singles or special versions of records. When I get into a band, I obsessively have to collect all of their songs, not just the ones that appear on the official albums. Perhaps this feature will serve as a kind of therapy for my obsession...

I decided to inaugurate the B-Side of the Week feature with a song from Centro-Matic. The reason I chose them is because I saw them perform tonight at the Khyber in Philly and they totally rocked the place. I posted earlier about their fantastic new record, Fort Recovery, so I won't repeat myself here. This track didn't make the US release of the album, but it very easily could have. As with most songs written by Will Johnson, the band's creative force, this tune is top notch.
"Not Like Anyone Would Mind" - Centro-Matic
Buy Centro-Matic's records here.

Update 11/18/06: Just found out that Centro-Matic has a live album for sale on iTunes. It's from this year's Austin City Limits Music Festival and it's great. Check it out here.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

one of my favorites, which i only have on vinyl...thank you

you can also hear a fantastic live version on a podcast recorded in denton, tx earlier this year...it is about three-fourths of the way through, but listening to the entire show is completely worth it...i do all the time :)

http://www.texasgigs.com/news/2006/jan/20/about-last-night/

aj

November 17, 2006 3:09 PM  
Blogger J said...

Thanks for the tip about the podcast! Just downloaded it now.

November 18, 2006 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home