-->

Monday, February 13, 2006

Overlooked In 2005

I realized recently that I missed a couple of key new releases from 2005 that I'm now really into.

First, Brandi Carlile's self-titled debut album. She's a little bit pop/rock, a little bit more country - kinda in a Sheryl Crow way...good Sheryl Crow, not the schmaltzy crappola she's put out since 1998's The Globe Sessions - and a whole lotta sweetness. She's got an amazing voice and writes some very good songs, especially considering she's very young and it's her debut album. I'm bummed I missed her recent performance at World Cafe Live in Philly. Here are two samples to check out:

What Can I Say (2:50) - mp3 (160kbps)

Tragedy (3:47) - mp3 (160kbps)

Second, the Nine Black Alps EP. I heard them on XM Satellite Radio and was immediately hooked. They've got the energy of early Nirvana and, if the five tunes on this EP are any indication, a lot of songwriting talent. They rock in an indie kinda way, but not the hackneyed indie-rock thing that is all over college radio now (do you hear me Franz Ferdinand and Co.???). Think 90's indie rock. Actually, the production isn't unlike that of the first Foo Fighters album. Good times. Their first full-length is due out in February, I believe. Here's a sample:

Shot Down (2:55) - mp3 (160kbps)

In case you missed them the first time, check out the Best of '05 lists Strontium Dog and I posted in January, although the audio sample links are probably dead by now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Nine Black Alps are coming on tour with the Cribs and Giant Drag. Their albums are fantastic, but they're even better live in my opinion. Can't wait. Oh and their full length album is incredible!

February 15, 2006 3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home